Re: how to tell if O2 sensor is Bad...

So, how does this NOT support what I said?  Where do you think the "engine
bay air" comes from?  Is there someplace on the 02 sensor that has a crack
or a vent hole?  None that I have seen.  Hey, once I heard this, with MY
experiences with 02 sensors and 15 years of auto tech experience (not to
mention watching others make mistakes!!), this made way too much sense.  I
keep hearing about the V drop with a crimp connector and the possibilities
of corrosion or whatever but this isn't the type of connection that drops .5
volts or anything.  I would be surprised to see a .01v drop in the type of
connection that we are talking about.  Plus, my common sense tells me that
Bosch would not send a crimp and shrink tube with their replacement 02
sensors if they thought that it would cause problems where they would have
to be on the hotline answering to unusual 02 sensor failures.  The
replacement 02 sensors from Bosch (universal) use to come with just a part
of the insulation stripped off for connection, now they come with the crimp
and heat shrink.  They did this because people were soldering them and
having problems.  I am not saying that you will have problems if you solder
them, the 02 sensor can still get air from other sources (small hole in
insulation, loosely fitting shrink wrap, etc.) but I am saying they you WILL
have a higher possiblity for problems if you use a Bosch 02 sensor and
solder the connection to where it will seal the wire off.  I have done it
both ways and the crimp works better.  In the BAPS class we actually
replaced an 02 sensor on one of the cars and the reading on the analog meter
of the voltage coming from the 02 sensor was perfect.  Used the crimp too!!
Plus, some fuel systems are digital meaning that the computer converts all
analog signals to digital.  What this means is that it becomes an on/off
signal.  So, (and I don't know the specs of where the computer converts)
this would mean that there is quite a bit of leeway when reading the voltage
of an 02 sensor.  So, an 02 sensor can alternate between .1v-.9v and the
computer would be getting the same reading if it were alternating between
.3v-.7v.  It is where it sticks at one voltage or starts reacting slowly
that you have a problem.  I have also seen this on cars.  Usually if you
compare 02 sensor outputs between cars (identical even) they will all be a
little different.  Anyway, I am not saying you are wrong but you should
understand that just because you do it and it works, doesn't mean that that
is the way it was built or meant to work. If you like solder, then solder.
I prefer crimps.  Easier, quicker, and, according to the manufacturer of the
item, the correct way.  Just makes more sense to me!

Dave