Re: Best Gap setting... "Bosch platinum Spark plugs" 16V

OK, I normally don't get into testimonials (well, OK, maybe I do...)  But
I run the Bosch Platinums in my 84 8V and have NO complaints.  Nice clean
plug, no driveability issues.  I get 40+mpg (imperial) on my commute
(secondary roads, in town stuff) and have no shortage of power when I need
it.  I drive the car 120 miles a day and I consider it to be in good tune,
with roughly 235,000 km on the engine - of which I put on 75,000km with
platinums (only 20,000 with the Scirocco though)

My first exposure to platimums was on my first 84 GLI - a JH motor with
300+ thousand km's, 7 owners before me, and very obviously abused during
that time.  No problems with the platinums there either.  I've been using
them in 8V motors for about 8 years with no complaints.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed.)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Patrick Bureau wrote:

> considering that  bosh platinum and germany engine really dont agree the
> answer would be .. don't
>
> I have a 78 Mercedes 280CE and an 85 8v, and tried the platinums, in both
> cases the car just a) refused to start (smart car) b) when I manage to get
> it started it sounded like a 1929 Model T from ford.
>
> use the plain Bosh Resistor F6DTC plugs, they work very well, and without a
> hitch.
>
> Now on this subject, I have seen a new series of bosh copper resisor plugs
> for car, it would be similar to a plit 3 tip (if your really worried about
> spark) that I think would work in your rocco, but platnium. forget it its
> crap.
>
> Patrick Bureau
> (normally I have a 6 line tag attached, I am rebuilding my hard drive on my
> linux box, and I am using (shivers.... windows)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca