4 wheel alignment - my experience (long)

 There has been some talk about 4-wheel alignment on our roccos...
well, I now can give some first hand experience with this since
I just had my car aligned yesterday.
The shop: Performance Alignment (the name says it all!)
These guys know their stuff...they work on some serious race cars!
 Before doing the alignment, my 16v was first cornerweighted...since
I had just installed my coilovers this was necessary to balance
the car to obtain an accurate alignment.  I talked with the guys
there to decide on how *aggressive* of an alignment that I was
looking for...I just went with a "moderate street" setup.
In order to change the rear, shims have to be used.  This involves
removing the rear brake assembly to install the shim...not a
quick process.  I have never had to wait 3+ hours before to have
a car aligned!!
 Driving impressions:  WOW!!!
I could not believe the difference.  It turns out that the right rear
of my car (originally) was badly out of spec, so now that it was lined
up properly the car had an entirely different feel...
Before...the rear of the car always felt loose.  Just never had good
response.  I felt like the rear would just float...not a precise feel.
But now, the rear tracks great and feels like part of the car!  It's
just such a difference...at least to me.
I really can't wait until I go to an open track event!!
  My advice:  I would suggest taking your car to a good alignment
shop...one that can balance the car (if you have coilovers) and
*properly* install the rear shims to get the ideal setup.
Just a warning...be prepared to pay for this service!  This is
definitely *not* a $49.95 alignment!
  Did I mention how nice the car reacts now...  ; )~

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
81 Scirocco