Re: (OT) (Rant) Dead Jetta :( -AKA Regular maintenance doesn't pay.

Diesels are interference engines, however valve/piston damage does not
usually result unless the incident occurred at high speed.  In the 8V
(including diesel) motor the valves are pointing straight down at the
piston crown, unlike in the 16V motor, where they come down at an angle.
16V motor almost invariably results in bent valves - diesels usually just
end up with slight valve impressions in the pistons.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Ed and lots of diesels)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Ron Pieper wrote:

> Waitaminit...I thought 8V's were *not* interference
> engines...dunno about diesels, though.  Didja have 'em
> re-set the belt correctly and do a compression check
> (before you file suit and contact the BBB)?
>
> Ron
>

> > On 21 Mar 2001, CATHERINE BOYKO wrote:
> >
> > > Well, bad day for me. The 87 turbo diesel Jetta,
> > my first VW is dead. Likely
> > > problem is contact betwen the valve(s) and the
> > piston, due to my insistance on
> > > having the timing belt changed (and it looked
> > okay). Problem was I didn't take
> > > it to the dealer and the timing was set up wrong.
> > Body is bad so not worth
> > > much work, but a head may be an option if the
> > piston looks okay, it runs at
> > > low revs and spews exhaust out the intake. So now
> > the insurance co. will want
> > > us to insure him on one of the other three, all
> > very high premiums. But there
> > > is an 8V Scirocco for sale nearby that sounds
> > decent, how does insurance
> > > compare with the 16V version , and what problems
> > should I look for? Thanks for
> > > your pity in advance!

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca