Re: need help, scirocco's rear is screwed

Dude, trust me when I say it's the axle. That's really the only thing it
can be. If it were a bent stub axle, you would be eating wheel bearings
on a monthly basis. Think about this logically dude. VW A1 axles bend
and twist like the dickens, and they get tweaked *EXTREMELY* easy if any
side load is put on them. Trust me, I have a 2000 Golf 1.8T also that is
in the dealer right now because VW rear axles don't like side load.
Nobody could figure out why my 85's right rear wheel was pushed in, and
a few places couldn't really get the alignment sensor on it, as the
wheel was a little too sunken in. Get out your trusty tape measure, and
get out your bentley. It's time to start taking measurements of the rear
axle beam, and it's angles. If you want help, I can drop by. I can also
probably tell you where to measure if you can't figure it out, and I
would now but I have to run and get ready for work :) If you have ever
seen an A1 rear axle beam out of the car, you would see that they are
flimsy things. As kind of a guide to show how easy they bend, a junkyard
I used to frequent had a *RACK* of A1 rear axle beams, and A1 rear axle
beams. Just about all of the A1 beams were twisted, tweaked, or flat out
bent like mine was. (To those maryland people here, it is brandywine off
of brown station road in the middle of fucking nowhere.)I ended up
having to call mark @ adirondack to get a good straight one ($60!). As
another piece of conviction, I had also installed poly rear axle beam
bushings in my bent axle, replaced it, and wondered why the alignment
was even further off..... Duh, it should have hit me right there....
Anyways, good luck. Peace,
	-Gary Huff