Re: Whoa! The pressure!

Ryan McCarthy wrote:

> I installed a new oil pressure gauge today in the rocco. Started the
> engine and was amazed at what I saw. With the engine cold, 10w-40 part
> synthetic oil, 1100 rpms my oil pump is putting out about 120 psi! After
> getting to operating temps it settled down to 40psi at idle and about 85
> at 2000 rpms. Is this way off the charts or what? I referenced my bentley
> and it only gave a minimum of 28 psi at 2k.

My car nearly pegs 150 psi when stone cold, quickly drops to the 90 range,
then at full operating temp, runs at about 60 psi at speed, 15 or so at
idle.  Drops to around 45 psi if I head the oil up much past 220f or so,
and will go up above 60 if particularly cold outside.. your figures don't
sound too strange, other than 85 psi at 2k - if that's with a fully
warmed engine, that sounds too high.

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA