Re: NOO! Cracked front cross member?

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:01:45 -0500 "Jason Arms" <redbug64@hotmail.com>
writes:

> Daun,
>
> Weld it up NOW before it gets so bad that you will have to do like
> Rich
> Deede did :(  (not meant to be mean to you Rich).  You are lucky you
> found
> it so early!  I acctually need to do some welding of minor cracks
> myself :(
> DAmn torquy 16v's ;)

Hey now... You know Rich is my boy... 8^)

Rich's cross-member was ripped from his accident, not from the engine
torque...

His cross-member ripped across where the oval air intake connects to the
cross-member.
And followed the bends of the cross-mamber on the passenger side.

The 16V cross-members have a larger hole for the air intake,
and it definitely weakens it...

My first 16V parts car, had already been welded,
EXACTLY where Daun's Crack is. (no pun intended)

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84 Scirocco, RD/FF