Re: Which is better?

>hi,
>which of engine types is better solid lifter or hydro?
>etka gives 82 kw to both types, is that true? what about torque?

Both, neither.  Depends.  They both have the same size ports and valves,
that's why there's no difference stock-2-stock.  The solid lifters will
allow for a more radical cam shaft at some massive lift and duration
(284 and bigger) without floating the valves as easily at high rpms...
given equal high performance springs.

You can tweek the valve opening and closing a bit by using valve shims
within the tolerances with a solid lifter head.  But, the hydro head
won't need a shimming, ever.  Nothing to adjust, just trouble free
(usually) operation...unless you count the possibly failed lifters or
the annoying ticking made when they're slow to pump up fully.

For a street driven car, given an equal choice, I'd probably put on
the hydro head just for lower maintenance.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net