Re: Peloquin 80% question (quick ratio steering)

Emm Dee Emm Eh wrote:

> How bad is it really? Am I going to have to worry about shifting and
> having the wheel turn on me if im not hanging on with a death grip?

Well, I wouldn't say that you'll have to "worry" about it but you should
definitely be wary. A death grip isn't necessary but you do have to pay
close attention to where your hands are on the wheel to get the best
leverage.

> Eventually I will be running about the same setup, just in a mk2 & a
> mk1. I really don't like the power steering, and I think once you get
> used to driving hard with the manual it isn't so bad.

I've never had a car with power steering since I started driving. So,
I'm not exactly sure how to compare it to a hotrod VW that is so
equipped. With that in mind, I'd go ahead with your manual steering plus
limited slip plans. You'll be okay. You just have to be prepared to hang
on tight and put some muscle into steering the car.

> As of now (relatively stock 16v Scirocco) my car is alright. Also, where can one
> find one of these quick ratio manual racks? Peace,

Well, Quaife makes a quick ratio manual rack. The ratio is about the
same as the powersteering from what I recall. Combinine the effects of a
quick rack, limited slip, and lots of power and I think you'll be a
sore-armed tired mofo. :^) The solution that I'm going with on the
'Rocco is power steering but without the factory belt-driven pump. I'm
using an electrical pump from a Subaru XT6. This will make the power
assist adjustable via a dial -maybe in the cockpit?

I like lots of switches, buttons, and dohickies... :^)
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!