Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2001 3:06 PM
Subject: strange 'creaking' sound

Ok I just got two new toyo proxes 195/50/15 installed on the the front of my 87 16v. I don't really see a correlation, but immediately after I notice a slight creaking, almost knocking sound when I take off in 1st gear continuing through second and sometime into 3rd. It seems to be comming from right under or behind the center console and I just cant fiure it out.It honestly sounds like creaking. Wierd or what? it is very slight, I mean I have to ask passengers to listen for it and diagnose. None can...they all drive other lowly makes and models. Also, if this is any help, when driving long distances, my car seems to pop out of 5th gear around 80mph. It does it over and over again. Never when driving around town or short highway trips, but only on long highway drives. WHAT THE HELL?