Re: 16v vs 8v pulleys and brackets.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:53:47 -0500 Jim Jarrett <jarrett@rpa.net> writes:

> I did this and used the stock alternator bracket, a 16v alternator
> (from a car with A/C), a non-A/C crank pulley, VW part # 026 105
> 255, and a stock 8v A/C waterpump pulley (I can't find the number right

> now.)

I saved it this time, Jim.

"The # was 026-121-031"...

Thanks Jim!

> I mounted the alternator in its stock location, and used a 16v
> radiator, for a car WITH A/C, so the piping on the radiator missed
> the alternator.
>
> Some people have mounted the alt. where the A/C compressor went.
> You'd have to investigate the issues with that, ie. can you then use
> a non-A/C radiator?  Will the alt. fit without contacting the
> radiator?

I'm betting on it... 8^)

The a/c and non a/c 16V radiator is basically the same radiator, except
for the top outlet.

The upper hose should clear the alternator if it is mounted in the A/C
compressor's spot.

> You then just have to find a belt that will fit.

One way to narrow it down is to wrap a rope that fits the pulleys,
then you measure the rope and get several belts around that length...

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"