Re: 16v vs 8v pulleys and brackets.

At 10:31 PM -0500 3/17/01, VWMikeLVW@aol.com wrote:
>I'm posting this for a friend: BTW, he wants non AC, non Power steering...I
>was just gonna have him order the non A/C bracket, and figured he could
>probably run his same pulleys.
>
>-------------------
>
>Getting ready to do a 16V swap and I am curious if anyone else out there
>could share what pulley bracket systems they used. 8V alt vs 16V alt?? And
>crank or water pump pulleys. Thanks

I did this and used the stock alternator bracket, a 16v alternator
(from a car with A/C), a non-A/C crank pulley, VW part # 026 105 255,
and a stock 8v A/C waterpump pulley (I can't find the number right
now.)

I mounted the alternator in its stock location, and used a 16v
radiator, for a car WITH A/C, so the piping on the radiator missed
the alternator.

Some people have mounted the alt. where the A/C compressor went.
You'd have to investigate the issues with that, ie. can you then use
a non-A/C radiator?  Will the alt. fit without contacting the
radiator?

You then just have to find a belt that will fit.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |