catalytic converter

Hello again,

     Just the other day I noticed a strange but very subtle rattle under my
car, only at about 1500 rpm.  It sounded like a rock being shaken around in
a tin can.  I checked for loose nuts/bolts, broken exhaust hangers, etc.  I
couldn't find anything unusual.  A couple days later, the noise was a bit
more pronounced, and my exhaust "tone" seemed to have changed.  I have a
techtonics cat back exhaust with the magnaflow muffler, which usually is
pretty throaty.  It seemed much quieter.  I am assuming that I have a bad
catalytic converter, of which the guts are now rattling around inside. Does
anyone know what a reasonable price is for a replacement?  Is it a bad idea
to get some sort of universal cat? Also, if I do have a bad cat, shouldn't
it rattle at all rpms?

Aaron
87 16V