Re: catalytic converter

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:51:11 -0500 "Aaron Aunins" <aarons16v@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Hello again,
>
>      Just the other day I noticed a strange but very subtle rattle
> under my car, only at about 1500 rpm.  It sounded like a rock being
shaken
> around in a tin can.  I checked for loose nuts/bolts, broken exhaust
hangers,
> etc.  I couldn't find anything unusual.  A couple days later, the noise
was
> a bit more pronounced, and my exhaust "tone" seemed to have changed.  I

> have a techtonics cat back exhaust with the magnaflow muffler, which
> usually is pretty throaty.  It seemed much quieter.  I am assuming that
I have
> a bad  catalytic converter, of which the guts are now rattling around
> inside. Does anyone know what a reasonable price is for a replacement?

> Is it a bad idea  to get some sort of universal cat? Also, if I do have
a bad cat,
> shouldn't it rattle at all rpms?
>
> Aaron
> 87 16V

It is probably the heatshield on the downpipe.

You can either remove it, or replace the shrunken and corroded bolt.
One of the long 6mm allen intake bolts from an 8V, with some large fender
washers, will do the trick.

If it really is the cat, you can either replace the whole cat/downpipe,
get a TT weld-in cat replacement, or get a TT race downpipe.

I had 16V Scirocco parts car that came with a modified downpipe,
the flex joint, was replaced with solid pipe, the cat was cut off, and
a piece of pipe with an O2 bung was welded to it.
A short high flow cat was fitted between the downpipe and the midpipe.

I guess anything could be rigged, but one of Techtonics' 3 choices, is
your best bet.

How about a exhaust flange conversion for 16V Scirocco downpipes, cut off
the cat, weld on a flange,
that would bolt up with an A2 55mm cat, which already has the O2 fitting.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"