WAS: Re: Springs and shocks, NOW: PO's

Good ol' PO's...  oh yeah...

uhh, in rebuilding my '87 8v, I can't *believe* how much screwed up stuff I
am dealing with.  Then there is this issue - at 166k miles, I am replacing
quite alot of stuff for the first time.  As my father said, it's a statement
about the PO, but it's also testimony to the car.  And let me say that it
drove quite well on the ride home from NC (for 166k).  Original tierod ends,
balljoints, WTF are intake manifold bolts & the tranny drain plug doing w/
LOCTITE on them???, snarfed oil pan bolt, original thermostat, and alot of
other stuff.  Spells: *creeeeakkk*, *snap*, "Crap, another broken bolt",
*CHA-CHING!!!!!*... grumble, grumble, grumble, Adirondack buys a second
warehouse off Phil's contributions, etc...

thankfully the PO for my recently acquired 16v was really detailed about
doing repair stuff.  I have all the receipts from his parts purchases and
can somewhat gauge what was done and when (mileage-wise) by the date of the
receipt.  Can't say I've been so trustworthy in the rebuild of my 8v as
there are a few receipts I've managed to lose.... oh well... this is a car
to the death for me.

on my 8v, I just look at it as if I am rescuing a mistreated animal from
some pathetic owner.  makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and whatnot.  who can
give me a hug now??

Time to hit the junkyard today, ba-by!

-Phil

RANTING AND RAVING:...  The guy who did some of the mod's on my car (which I
've owned for all of 200 miles or so) was not too sharp.  He apparently
removed all of the dust covers and spring seats in an attempt to get the car
a bit lower.  I managed to not notice that they were supposed to be there
until after I got the new springs on, so  I guess I'll be going back for
that soon.  He also forgot to put the little steel insert in one of the
strut bearings, so that was trashed and I had to machine a new insert.  Then
there is the rear strut tower brace that was incorrectly installed (correct
on one side, but obviously not on the other), the beat up bolts on the strut
s, and the dreaded FRAM oil filter.  I've already ranted this week about the
calipers that were painted while on the car and without masking off any part
of them.  I just hate the fact that someday soon someone is going to assume
that I did that.  Really frustrating to have to undo all of these "mod's".