Re: (OT) carb help needed please

In a message dated 3/15/01 9:22:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
czvw@mediaone.net writes:

<< If you're talking about  motorcycle carbs, I would say no.  All the ones
I've seen (70's - 80's) have  overflow lines that would drain the fuel tank
if the carb level got too high
 (don't ask). >>
  Then there's the other extreme; overdo the tank sealing and block off the
air relief=mo flow (again, don't ask)

 <<If you're talking about a car I think that it's possible due  to the fact
that fuel is being pushed into the carb by a fuel pump.  If the  float were
to stick open, the excess unneeded fuel needs to go somewhere and  I'm
guessing would be pushed out the carb and into the intake.  I'm sure  that
somebody else can verify this for you...... >>
  And I will.
  Yes, if the float is stuck open, misadjusted, or filled with gas (same
result usually), then all that fuel is going to end up not being siphened by
the venturis, but forced through by the pump. Also if the airhorn gasket is
shot, fuel will pour in through the gaps in that as well.
  One sure way to tell if this is happening is lots of fuel around the top of
the carb. Another thing to keep in mind is that a stuck or misadjusted float
can cause a lean condition as well, but I'm guessing you're running rich.
  My suggestion, time for a rebuild kit.
HTH
Carl (3 Solex's, 4 KeiHins, 2 Minuki's, and tooooo many Rochesters I could
prob'ly rebuild and tune in my sleep)
77rocco
89fox
 and not a carb between them, thank Bosch!