RE: Keeping the chrome vs. powdercoating black

Dave,
I agree powdercoating is a more durable finish.
The wire-wheel and rattle-can method gave me a nicer finish though compared
to those that have been powder-coated.
They have also lasted 2 yrs and still look just like the day I painted them.
The problem with the door handles is that they are aluminum.
When aluminum is powdercoated and then heated to cure, you get out-gassing
from the part that "sometimes" causes a bad finished product, bubbles and
such. (I used to work in a plating shop).
I would highly recommend powder-coating anything steel on the car though.
For those that are going to get your handles (the solid Alum ones)
powdercoated I'd highly recommend going to the salvage yard and getting a
couple pairs and have the shop do those as well.
If you have problems you can get the pick of the litter, If they all turn
out perfect you can always sell them on e-bay. :-)

Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver