RE: Keeping the chrome vs. powdercoating black

Todd,
I am going off of memory here but...
The handles on the S models were solid aluminum one piece (one screw
mounting) with no front inserts.
The non-S's(?) had either plastic with stainless steel inserts, or chrome
with black plastic inserts.
The black plastic handles like the Rabbit used two screws to mount them, one
inside the door and the other under the front inserts. I am not sure about
how the earlier chrome ones mounted though.
The Aluminum S ones were black from the factory but they lose their finish
over time and turn silver (Aluminum).

On Mars I took the handle apart, wire wheeled it (soft bristle on a 8"
grinder), and painted it with a "satin" black engine paint.
They looked like brand spankin' new ones (OEM looking) and the finish has
lasted about 2 yrs now and still looks exactly like the day I painted them.
One trick I learned to preserve them is to make sure not to stab them with
the key...especially at night.
HTH

Randy B
81 (Mars) Scirocco S - Techtonics Tuning 1847cc 8V
81 (Cosmos) Scirocco S - future Oettinger 16V project
87 Jetta GLI 16V - daily driver