Re: Shift bushings - leftovers?

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:52:35 -0500 "Aaron Ness" <aaron@makuta.com> writes:

>  This is side-to-side, as well as fore-and-aft.  Shawn, you just
>recommended to another lister replacing the links with the plastic ball
>sockets, but in my case, they seem solid.  How do I tighten this up,
>considering I have new bushings?

This is something you need to have a helper in the car moving the shifter
play while you get under the car and carefully look at WHERE the slop is
at. essentially you want the shifter linkage to move as one. There is
bound to be some play in each of the connecting pieces.
I also find that the cage that the ball sits into will have some
distortion from the shifting (hammering) over the years. Check and see if
the cage allows alot of movement of the ball inside it. I recall I made a
slight adjustment on my 82 years ago by using vice grips to make the gap
smaller and haven't had a problem since then with excessive freeplay.
The fore and aft freeplay is usually the ball/socket and/or the 13mm nut
that holds the ball in place comming loose. Since you just installed
yours, it sounds like its comming from somewhere else.

>Also, I have two leftover parts from the kit.  They are the two hard
>plastic
>bushings that go into the link bolted to the bracket on the driver's
>side of
>the differential housing.  I replaced those, but I have two more.  I
>had
>this with the last one I did too.  Do they go somewhere?

is this the little 10mm nut with the offset bolt that holds the 90 degree
shift lever that bolts to the diff?? There are 2 bushings that go into
the bolt pivot location plus the 2 for the shift lever. Be careful with
tightening that nut. It likes to break off the threaded part of the bolt.
The lever will seem loose and you think you can get a little more
tightness out of it by another half turn and -{SNAP]- your screwed.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!