Shift bushings - leftovers?

Last night I replaced my shift bushings and relay lever ball.  It had flats
on both sides.  After I finished, my throw was a little shorter (courtesy of
the new ball), but I still have lots of play in the shifter when it's in
gear.  This is side-to-side, as well as fore-and-aft.  Shawn, you just
recommended to another lister replacing the links with the plastic ball
sockets, but in my case, they seem solid.  How do I tighten this up,
considering I have new bushings?

Also, I have two leftover parts from the kit.  They are the two hard plastic
bushings that go into the link bolted to the bracket on the driver's side of
the differential housing.  I replaced those, but I have two more.  I had
this with the last one I did too.  Do they go somewhere?

TIA...
Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco