Clutch adjustment problem

Recent changed the clutch and cable on my '88 16v 'rocco.  When I adjust it to the proper free play I can't get the tranny into gear when the car is running.  I have to tighten up the cable (got the manual one) quite a bit before I seem to get good clutch disengagement and I can get the car into gear.

I was wondering if I could have a problem with the throwout bearing or the lever that pushes against it.  Seems like everything is aligned properly and when I adjust the cable (until there is no free-play at all in the system) shifting is ok.  Just seems like I have to run things with a lot of tension.  Any ideas what I should check?

David