Re: 1.8l 8V Buildup

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:44:00 EST WaspHwy@aol.com writes:
>I am soon going to be building my stock engine up in my 84 gti. this
>is what
>I have planned so far:
>
>- going to use a g grind cam, adj. cam gear, new valve springs (HD)
>seals,
>etc, head will be ported and polished (mildly) and a nice valve job.

Good idea so far.

>- will be using a 4-2 manifold with TT downpipe, no cat, 2.25" cat
>back with supertrapp - of course, new belts, hoses, etc...
>- using an audi tb with port matched manifold

>From reading alot of what people say here about TT systems, they love it
for some reason. I myself don't like TT's exhaust systems. The one I had
mounted up funky, never did sit right where as my cheaper Eurosport
system has been flawless and works just as good. (I like the muffler of
the Eurosport system too.) just my experience talking here. Also the 2.25
is too big for what your building. you will gain more performance from
the smaller 2" than you will from the 2.25".

>now, I have some questions:
>- I want to get a stroker kit. I don't know where to get one (other
>than autotech)

Potterman has a stroker kit. ( I researched this already but decided to
just go with a 2.0L and build up from there. Cheaper in the long run
too....)

>- I cant decide between cast and forged pistons
>- which pistons should I use and from where?
>- which clutch should I use?

Go with stock pistons! Cheaper and you wont gain much with the forged,
especially since you plan to keep the motor NA. Its just easier all
around.
Stock clutch will work fine too.

Just to compare notes, heres what im currently building for the wife's
84.

short block:
1.8L 16V block.
83mm 10-1 pistons.
Balanced bottom end.
Lightened flywheel.
Align bored

Head:
1.8L (JH) solid lifter head. Non shrouded injection. Ported and polished,
polished valves (polished the valves today as a matter of fact.) HD
springs with probably a 276 cam. Shaved head, VW Motorsports head gasket
with the goal of 11.7-1 CR.

Im hoping to get around 140hp? Maybe. I get what I get since its the
wifes daily driver. (read, I don't care.) It will be enough to be fun and
its a cheap engine build for me. (less than $1000 total.) The biggest
part of the deal is I want a fun reliable motor.  (and a fun driver for
someone going to the ND show this year!) The headwork is already done. I
just need to assemble the head as well as a couple details for the ND
show.

Ill use a stock Sachs clutch and will also be adding a Knock sensor
system to the car since ill be using a high compression ratio. if you
keep with the 8.5-1 pistons you wont need to add one for your project.
Just something to think about since the pistons are all that's keeping
you from 10-1 and a few more ponies.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!