RE: Refinishing euro bumpers

There are 2 basic directions you can go.  You can sand the bumpers smooth
and paint over that, or you can strip the bumpers without sanding and paint
them like the factory did.  Since there have been several responses about
the first approach, I'll describe the second approach (which is the one I
did).  BTW, I thought about getting my bumpers smooth so they looked more
like a modern car, but I finally decided that I liked the textured look
better because I'm used to it.

This method was pretty messy and it took longer than I thought, but I think
that applies to ANY body work you do on a car.  :)  First I went to Home
Depot and bought a stripping compound that doesn't dissolve plastic.  I
cannot remember the name right now, but I can dig it up for anyone who is
really interested.  It was in a plastic bottle which I took as a good sign
that it didn't dissolve all plastic.  The stuff worked easy enough, you
spread it on the bumper (using solvent resistant gloves), let it sit there
and boil the old paint off.  Then you rub the bumper with a brush and all
the paint flakes off.  Finally you hose off the residue.  My bumpers had
several different layers of paint, so I had to reapply this stripper about
three times.

I then filled a couple of holes a previous owner had drilled for license
plate mounting.  Painting them was terribly easy.  In fact it was the
easiest part!  I used an adhesion promoter for the base.  I applied three
light coats of that.  Then I used some generic bumper paint for the top.  I
sprayed on four light coats.  That was it!  I've had the bumpers on for a
year now and I do not see any chips.

My bumpers had already been painted, so I had a little more of a challenge
than someone who has naked plastic.  If you are starting with naked plastic,
most of the work I had to do you would not have to do.  You would just clean
the bumper real good, apply the adhesion promoter then the flexible paint
over top.  That will give you a nice factory-looking set of bumpers.  I
originally wanted to paint my bumpers white (since I've got a 16V and my US
bumpers were white).  But I actually like the black look.  It offsets all
that white car!  As long as we're talking about my opinion, I think that red
and silver cars definitely look better with black euros.  The black bumpers
help give the car definition.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition