RE: Cleaning up the shifting

The first thing you should do is replace the shift bushings and relay lever
(the plastic ball-thing under the steering rack) and see what that does for
your shifting.  If it's still too loose, a few listers have mentioned that
the A3 relay shaft bushings will tighten up the shifting on an A1.  Only
after you have replaced these parts should you look at upgrades.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle
'87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - for sale!  Columbus, IN