Re: [Tech] Gaseous Smell From My Rear

Jason Arms wrote:

> >Today I was cleaning the snow off my car while it was warming up, and I
> >smelled gas. I took a peak under the car and it is leaking gas...A drip
> >every 5-10 second while running. It appears to be leaking near the rear
> >passenger side tire. Any ideas ??? BTW - I have a new gas tank (around 18
> >months old)...
> >
> >Jason87vw@nac.net
> >87 Scirocco 2.0
>
><snip> If that is the case, they are way the hell to
> expensive to replace, i think the stealership quoted me $150 for one line
> that went from the pump to the accumulator, so i would reccomend...

Contacting Potter, because -

Most Everything You Get From The Dealer Is Expensive.

<http://www.parts4vws.com>

This is in case you _need_ new parts, best to get most of the gas out of
the tank and get it up on something secure, jack stands, ramp, etc. Get
up under and revisit the whole thing. You might find cleaning and
refitting might be all you need (Note the recent thread with the real
good info:)

The fuel lines rely on those copper washers you find between the banjo
fittings. They can be reanealed (is that the correct term for the
benefit derived?) by heating them up (AWAY FROM THE GAS SUPPLY PLEASE :)
this will get them to 'bite' better, serving to make a gas proof seal
between the relatively harder steel components.

Good time to recondition the 12v lines' contacts for better weatherproofedness.

My A2 Jetta has a drippy fuel pump area, not as bad as yours but it
stays moist all the time so I need to get up under there too, at least
to replace the filter anyway.

hth,
TBerk
btw- I didn't bite on the subject line. 8]