Re: (tech)2.0 L 16V Build.

At 11:30 PM -0500 3/1/01, Gary Huff wrote:
>Why the 1.8l head? The 2.0l head flows 20 more cfm out of the exhaust
>ports where as the 1.8l head flows 10cfm more than the 2.0l head through
>the intake ports. A 2.0l head ported, polished, and milled to death
>should flow more and produce more power than a 1.8l 16v head. Food for
>thought.

There's been a lot of talk over on VWVortex about this - everybody's
jumping on the 1.8 head bandwagon, claiming it's worth 10hp or some
rubbish.  People who have driven the two back-to-back claim the 1.8 is
faster.  If you're sticking with a stock head, then get the 1.8.  If you're
porting it, and you really should, then it's irrelevant, since you can port
a 2.0 head to match a ported 1.8 head.

>I'm building a hot 16v motor, and I'm going with the Super Sprint header
>& resonator. I figure I can tune it to pass the treadmill test for
>emissions as long as it passes visual.

That's a big bonus with the Supersprint header - it comes with a small
resonator that sits after the collector and flex joint, right where the cat
should be.  Passes visual inspection every time :)

>If his are burnt, there are. My current 1.8 head has bad/burnt valves in
>it. Unfortunately being in the situation I was at the time I had to put

As far as valves go, if you plan on machining them in any way as part of a
port job, why not just spend the $100 or whatever and get new ones?