Re: [$] Financing List (was: RE: A better Server for the list?here is an idea...)

>Hi!
>
>When financing is an issue we could take the usual
>route, meaning make space for advertisments on our
>website (Scirocco.Org I mean) and sell the space
>to some tuning companies for affordable price and
>we'd be financed. Every free server has gone this
>route, but do we really want advertisments on our
>Scirocco.Org?

Scirocco.org is already sponsored in some ways by Virtual
World Parts.

>I also work as a system administrator in Estonia and
>I could offer the space on our server. Then there
>will be some other issues. Is the speed enough fast
>for US Listers? To clarify this I have put a test
>page up on our server with big file to download and
>check for speed.

Thanks for the offer, but we'll be handling this in
other more definitely permanent ways. :)

>The server will surely keep up the traffic as it is
>built to handle 100 000 hits per day. As I see from
>the counter Scirocco.org has got 30 000 hits within
>three years.

Actually, this is totally wrong.  The counter on the front
page was broken for about 20 months.  I fixed it very
recently, like part way through January.  Since fixing
it, about 6 weeks ago, the home page has received over 20,000
hits.  The entire web site generates over 800,000 hits a
month from roughly 15,000-20,000 users.

>Lauri!
>'84 1.8 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
>http://www.ttu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
>I finally added something new to my site!

> > I think Neal's point was that we're all currently benefiting from the hard
> > work of a handful of people (Brett and Chris, specifically).  If either of
> > them decide to call it quits, we're all hosed.

When the previous list / web manager 'called-it-quits' Chris and I
rose to the occasion and 'saved' the list and site.  Neither one of
us is going to just leave everyone high and dry without lots of
advance warning.  I have no plans of not supporting the list in
the foreseeable future.  I'm the last person  you've got to worry
about leaving the scirocco community...I've been a scirocco driving
enthusiast for 15 years, which is about half my life.  Way longer
then many of the members on this has been driving, or even owned a
a roc I bet...I'll be around a while, no problem.

>Chris is already annoyed
> > with some of the BS going on, at what point do we push him over the edge.

Based on what Chris himself, and I have done, it's not happening.  No
one is going over the edge...however, recognize the fact that this
list gets out of hand on certain 'topics', and someone needs to be
in charge.  I now have full access to the list management
utilities.

> > The advantage of the yahoo.groups stuff is, as Neal pointed out, minimized
> > hardware and software overhead and the effort it takes to deal with those
> > things.

There are almost no advantages to yahoo groups or any system like it when
you have the ability to control everything yourself.  At this point,
after talking about it sooo much, just take my word for it.

> But your right, a yahoo.groups set up is also a step down in some
> > ways.  Since Brett has a plan to keep the site and list "in house" (Neal
> > also pointed this out and preferred it), perhaps we should be concentrating
> > our efforts on supporting that (either through helping, donating hardware,
> > or donating cash) instead of attacking each other.

Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence, I think I have good credibility.
Better things are in our online future. :-)

When I finalize a plan to move the website, if hardware is needed,
I'll canvas the list.  I'm actually in the middle of a couple of
ebay auctions right now to populate the Sparc 20 with drives. ;)  We'll
talk about it after I figure out what it all cost...thanks again
everybody!

later!

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net