[$] Financing List (was: RE: A better Server for the list? here is an idea...)

Hi!

When financing is an issue we could take the usual
route, meaning make space for advertisments on our
website (Scirocco.Org I mean) and sell the space
to some tuning companies for affordable price and
we'd be financed. Every free server has gone this
route, but do we really want advertisments on our
Scirocco.Org?

I also work as a system administrator in Estonia and
I could offer the space on our server. Then there
will be some other issues. Is the speed enough fast
for US Listers? To clarify this I have put a test
page up on our server with big file to download and
check for speed.

Test page:
http://www.eabc.edu.ee/~laurts/scirocco/
You can also browse our main site for the same reason:
http://www.eabc.edu.ee/

The server will surely keep up the traffic as it is
built to handle 100 000 hits per day. As I see from
the counter Scirocco.org has got 30 000 hits within
three years. So it could also manage with our list
traffic. There's also a possibility to use CGI, PHP
and MySQL on my server. The connection speeds are as
follows: 2Mbps to Estonian Backbone (100Mbps), from
Estonian Backbone to Finland is 8Mbps connection
(Main bottleneck), but its crowded when US sleeps! :)
>From Finland to US is 115Mbps connection already.

I'm guite sure I could agree with my bosses about
sponshorship, they'll probably want an innocent link
to EABC's main page to .org page or to the list of
sponsors.

Other things that may need clarifying is that I'll
never know how long I'm going to work here and when
I move on I do not know if I can take the site with
me as the next sysadmin may not be such a Scirocco
fanatic.

Lauri!
'84 1.8 16v Scirocco GTX Kamei X1 Bodykit (VIN025736)
http://www.ttu.ee/~laurts/scirocco
I finally added something new to my site!