Re: New to List with LOTS of ?'s

--- Primeodd@aol.com wrote:
> Hello Scirocco Lovers, or Haters (for those having
> trouble with theirs),

Always a little of both depending on which of my cars is
down.  :)

> I’m a weekend VW mechanic who doesn’t crack
> engines, but will tackle, or try to, any other repair.
> You know the type, usually has to do it twice to get it
> right, or it takes 3 times as long as it should to do the
> repair.

I hear ya.  I'm slow, but generally get it done with
success.

What springs and struts do
> you recommend and where can I get them at the best
> price??

Go here:  www.parts4vws.com OR www.germanautoparts.com.
Great folks to deal with, many on the list are loyal
customers, myself included.

  How about ball joints and tie rods, any
> recommendations or can I go with what my local parts
> store carries?

See the above answer.

> I need to replace dash light bulbs on the MkII (it has
> only one working, fortunately it’s the speedo) and
> the GTI Rabbit (it has no dashlights) and plan to but in
> all new bulbs. What’s the easiest way to do these?

I think Patrick answered the Scirocco question, the Rabbit
is a little different.  You'll need to remove the dash
facia and the kneebar if memory serves.  All that just to
get the cluster out.

> The car interior is in good shape with just a few very
> small dashboard cracks in the usual spots. I do however
> need to find a new shifter boot and leather steering
> wheel as they have worn through on mine. Are there any
> good sources for these items or do I scan the salvage
> yards?

Hmmmm.  I believe I have a leather wrapped wheel, may have
a shift boot as well, have to look around my collection.

> This MkII is a southern car and has very little rust. I
> plan to have it repainted Mars Red I do need to replace
> the bumper covers as they look pretty bad.

Are they just faded?  I've had really good luck with "SEM
Bumper Coater" - returns the bumpers to a nice black
finish.  There are also other product on the market that
will bring back the black color, however I know there was
one or two to avoid but don't remember the brand.  Anyone?

Also one other tip - buy a Bentley manual for your car if
you don't already have one.  It is an invaluable resource
for maintaining the Scirocco.  You can often find them on
eBay, new ones are a little pricey, but worth it.

Welp, now back to working on my '80...

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
Currently too many VWs for Yahoo to let me list.  :)
"God must drive a Plymouth.  After all, 'He drove them out in his Fury.'"