RE: New to List with LOTS of ?'s

Welcome to the Rocco List.

To answer a few question I have answers possibly to.

Your QUESTION >>I need to replace dash light bulbs on the MKII (it has
only one working, fortunately it’s the Speedo) and the GTI
Rabbit (it has no dash lights) and plan to but in all new bulbs.
What’s the easiest way to do these?

Well taking the cluster is easy, 24mm is the hub bolt that hold the
steering wheel (pop the center cover out with flat screw-driver, and
then 2 Philips # 2 screws hold the plastic square cover in dash, then
One more center screw (Philips) again to unlock the cluster from the
body. Now you have a flat connectors on each end of the bottom part of
the cluster to remove, the Speedo-cable (press on clip and rotate
until it comes out) and then a 2 wire plug on the odometer part. once
all that is removed, it is a question of a little bit of will power
over matter, as it is a tight fit in an angle to get the 2 bottom
support rubber covered pin to pass the box entry way of the dash...
then replace the bulbs (twist and pull)
more information and pictures on my web site (look for Changing the
color of cluster lights in the tech notes section)

QUESTION >> The blower fan on the MKII is not working. This may be due
to the thieves yanking the stereo out, as they did screw up the wiring
for the oil temp gauge, which I fixed. When I turn the switch on for
the blower fan the radiator fan goes on when the defrosts are on and
the temp gauge is in the cool position. Is there an easy way to test
the blower fan? I know, nothing is easy for the weekend mechanic.

Well can you tell if the fresh air fan blower is functioning on
certain speeds (i.e.: 1-2-3-4??) if it only works on 4, then check
connections on blower resistance assembly (go through engine bay, by
removing the plastic cover in drip tray.)
if all is well then your resistance could be bad.. if it works lets
say on 2 and 3 but not on 1 then it could be your rotating switch in
your dash that controls the speed of the fan.

   / _ /_  __/ __/  A Texas Scirocco, 1985 8v Titian Red
  / __ |/ / _\ \    http://longcoeur.com/scirocco/
 /_/ |_/_/ /___/    (AIM) patricdlc, (ICQ) 3291816