Re: chassis stiffening: foam in the rockers...

I'm pretty sure the question is not "if they to get wet". The interior
structure of these cars is pretty open to the outside. Just take a look up
the tunnels the bumpers mount into. As a matter of fact, stick your hose in
there and see where the water comes out. You'll be surprised!

So, the question in my mind is, WHEN they get wet will they hold the
moisture and cause rust from the inside out. Bare metal can live pretty long
exposed to moisture, but anything that holds the water in place can cause
rust REAL fast. I think the foam is a great idea, but the potential for rust
(THE most feared and hated car desease!) is just too great.

Now, for all you wimps bitching about how flexy flyer your Scirocco is, just
keep in mind the torsional stiffness of the A1 chassis is 3000 lb-ft/deg.
Right up there with the best sportcar and F1 chassis a mere 10 years before
its design.
OK! OK! That was when the car was new!
Just thought I'd throw a little data out there that only an old fart would
know.
Dan