RE: another cv joint q

Ok well being that I am a VW tech and work on these cars all day long every
day (and night) I do have a good idea as to how good rebuilt CV axles are.

I put a set of rebuilt ones on my wifes car thinking that because they ahd a
lifetime warranty that it would be fine to replace the axle every couple of
years or so. No such luck. 2 months after installation I had  tron boot on
one of them. 2 months after that ANOTHER torn boot. I then replaced it again
and the one I got made noise right out of the box. I then replaced that one
also and the boot tore about 4 months later. I left it on the car because I
was disgusted with changing the fuckers all the time and I am waiting for it
to make noise.

I do axle services on CV's alot. I know what a rebuilt axle looks like vs
the OE German stuff. I can guarantee you that if the boot is torn that the
boot has outlasted the joint. EVERY time I remove a joint that is rebuilt
(doesnt matter who remanufactured it) for the purpose of replacing a boot; I
find that the joint has pitting.

Just as it has been explained already. Whent he joint is remanufactured it
is bored to a large ID and as a result the temper is taken out of the metal
and it does not last NEAR as long as OE German shit.

I hope this clears things up a little for you and noone else buys rebuilt
axles ;-)

>I have a set of re-conditioned CV joints, and I would like to know on
>what facts your " REBUILT AXLES ARE JUNK "
>is based on.
>
>The ones I have, where taken off my car, and the guy brought them back
>the next day, I inspected them and they look like new, all parts were
>changed for new parts, cleaned, grease, repainted, and the they have
>the external circlips as VW standards are set on s pecs of these
>items, and come with a 2 year warranty. Rebuilding CV joint is not
>like rebuilding an engine there is not really a whole lot to it,
>bearing, grease, rubber boots.
>
>Rebuilt = 145$ per side, Brand new = 355$ per side (Canadian of
>course)
>
>Now all this customer stuff stated, I am curious as to what
>information you have that could be pertinent to avoiding certain
>"rebuilders of parts" versus " statements based on bad experience on
>your part".
>     ___ __________
>    / _ /_  __/ __/  A Texas Scirocco, 1985 8v Titian Red
>   / __ |/ / _\ \    http://longcoeur.com/scirocco/
>  /_/ |_/_/ /___/    (AIM) patricdlc, (ICQ) 3291816

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V 'Rocco ragtop