RE: another cv joint q

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:17:59 -0500 "Patrick Bureau" <pbureau@home.com> wrote

>I have a set of re-conditioned CV joints, and I would like to know on
>what facts your " REBUILT AXLES ARE JUNK "
>is based on.

Ah, a List FAQ.  This comes up every few months.

Maybe "junk" is too harsh a word (although I don't know what Chris
has actually seen).

When CV joints are reconditioned, they are ground out and larger ball
bearings installed.  That process removes hardened metal in the cage
and exposes, well, less hardened metal that is softer, so one assumes
wears faster.

If you've ever looked at a brandy-new, never-covered with moly grease
CV, you can actually SEE a delineation in the metal where it's been
tempered.

It really isn't that hard to replace the inner joints.  A BFH and a
punch, and you're there.  You have to go through essentially the same
work to remove a drive axle and replace it with a reconditioned one
as to remove your existing axle, drive off the old joint, and replace
it.  Look, if *I* can do it, anyone can.

It's up to you how much you love your car and care about it as to
what route you want to go.

| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
| jarrett@<NOSPAM>rpa.net                                       |
|                     "Cue the Sun."                            |
|               -Ed Harris, _The_Truman_Show_                   |