Re: non rocco - new passat impressions?

I've got an Audi A4 1.8T quattro.  My parents have 2
Audi A4's with the V6.  Having driven all three cars I
like mine the most.  It's more nimble, gets better gas
mileage and with a simple chip upgrade has far more
torque than the V6's.  Even stock it's more than a
match because of the low flat torque band.

Course I've installed a K04 in mine now and I romp all
over the V6, but that's another story.

My GF has a passat 1.8T with the 170hp motor and the
tiptronic tranny.  It's a very nice car with ample
power.  In fact, much more so than the V6.  The extra
20 hp made a substantial difference in pickup.  I
never feel like it doesn't have adequate power...

-josh

--- Kervin Ridgley <kervinridgley@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Hey Brad,
>   I don't own one, but I drive them every day
> because I work at a
> dealership.  I think the V-6 manual is by far the
> most fun to drive.
> Globs of power everywhere, but it is about $2000
> more than the 1.8t.
> The 170 hp 1.8t makes the most sense in the car.
> Great fuel economy and
> good power.  Some people don't like the 1.8t because
> when you have your
> foot in it, you can hear the engine since the rest
> of the car is so
> quiet.  The automatic is for those that need it.  If
> your parents
> regularly drive an automatic, they will like it, if
> they are looking for
> a stick, don't even bother with it.  I'd get one
> with the luxury package
> so that they will have a rear sun shade.
>
> Kervin
>
> Brad Sayer wrote:
> >
> > Having almost successfully converted my parents to
> the joys of VW ownership
> > they are looking to buy a new passat.  I am sure
> some of you own such a car
> > and was wondering about impressions:  best engine,
> transmission, etc.  Also,
> > any problems or warnings.  I have heard something
> about unusually high oil
> > consumption...is this true?
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > 87 16V