engine sensor identification(16V)

Going through my engine bay (87 16V) tonight I have come up with some
questions I may need some help on, involving the various coolant sensors.
On the left side of the head near the coolant outlet there are a number of
sensors threaded into the head.  To the upper right of the coolant hose is
the temp sender to the guage.  Directly below the hose is the thermo time
switch.  To the lower left is another 2 wire one.  Where does this go?  What
does it do?  Also to the upper left of the hose is another sensor, identicle
to the guage one.  This has nothing attached to it, no wire?  What is this,
and am I missing something?  Finally, there is yet another apparent temp
sensor on the back of the head, on the same end of the engine.  One single
wire, black and green.  What is that one?
Hope someone can help out, I am especially concerned about the one that has
nothign attached to it.  Thanks...

Confused and finding the Bentley wirign diagrams to be damn confusing and of
little help right now....

Brad

87 16V