Re: [rant]Still getting the run around by allstate insurance.

Hey Kevin, you don't need antique tags to get "classic/collector car"
insurance, I've got it for my roc with regular NYS tags.  There are however,
a bunch of caveats:  As Peter said you must have another car as a daily
driver, you're also limited to the amount of mileage that you can put on per
year (usually about 3K), the car must be kept in an alarmed garage when not
in use and the car can only be used for pleasure driving (no work, no
school, no errands etc), like driving a scirocco can be anything but
pleasurable <g>.

The amount of coverage, as I've found, varies.  Josh Able was able to get
his car insured for $12K because he has modifications, I, on the other hand
was only able to get $5K because mine is stock, which seem ironic to me, but
that's another story.  Both Josh and I pay about $350/year with full
coverage including collision for the valued amount of the car.  There is no
age limit on the car old or new, but with my policy a car newer than 15
years had a $1K deductible and when my car hit 15 the deductible went away
and the premium remained the same.

The obvious benefits of such insurance is that these companies specialize in
classic/rare or otherwise collectible cars so they're somewhat more
sympathetic in the event of a claim (I hope, as I haven't had need to test
their meddle).  Another even more obvious benefit is the car is insured for
more than the "book" value and the premium is generally a fraction of what
it would be with regular insurance.  I guess they figure that people driving
collectible cars are less likely to risk wrecking them.

HTH.

- Jan Folkson
NYC, NY

http://www.janfolkson.com

'86 16V
'99 Passat GLS 1.8t
'00 Beetle GLX 1.8t

"If you're not passing traffic...you ARE traffic"