Re: OIL and Filters on a 1.8L

Uhmmm.....Ford, Firestone.
Not always best to trust what the Mfg. uses.  :)
Remember that that the Mfg has to make a profit so they are going to use the
cheapest parts (that meet some specification).they can to assemble a car.
Otherwise a new VW Golf would cost $50K
Same thing with Mechanic shops, they use the cheapest parts (still quality,
just not the best) so they can charge a competitive rate for servicing your
car.
As the person that makes all the decisions on what goes into my car, and the
person that is going to install them, I chose to spend more on the best
parts I can find with the research I do.

Case in point:
I was not satisified with the stock shift linkage, nor did I particularly
like the one that came up on the list a few months ago so...........
I (with the help of a friend) did some research, found teflon coated
spherical bearings, stainless steel rod, stainless hardware and proceeded to
design and make my own.
It cost more in parts alone than the kit that was available earlier but I
believe I now have a far superior mechanism that will last much longer.
If you can't find it....build it :)

My philosophy is:
Do the homework, understand how the system works, find out what others that
are knowledgable recommend and make the best choice you can.
If it was another car besides my Scirocco's, the cheaper the

Just my $.02  :^D

Randy
81 Scirocco S (X2) - "The Twins"