Re: Why aren't valves polished?

--- Theron Ross <ross@sanoh.com.mx> wrote:
> What is the reason why the entire valve isn't
> polished? What I'm talking
> about is the base of the stem.

This is probably a pure cost issue on the
manufacturer's part.

> Is that even possible, or are they hardened?

Harder metals polish better than softer ones!  It's
again a matter of $$.  Harder metals take more time
and higher grade abrasives.

>The Bentley says to use a wire brush wheel
> to get the carbon off,
> but that seems a little too abrasive.

Shouldn't harm them a bit.  If you want, invest in a
few polishing wheels and a kit of various compounds;
should be maybe $25 - $30 total, and you'll never
regret it.  Get a sandpaper wheel also, and go to
town.

As for the
> exhaust valves, they have
> about 50K miles on them, so I got some new ones from
> Potterman.

Ida reused them and had them ground if required; but
then I've been known to be a bit...thrifty...

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

"One....two....one...two...three..."
-Lynyrd Skynyrd