Re: FS: 5th Gear Conversion Kit

> Saaaay folks- Which is a 'taller' 5th gear:
> - .71

-way tall gear for super economy in an 8v transmission. It is too tall for a
3.67 ring & pinion transmission (your FF, for example, Tosha) unless
performance is simply not an issue.

> - .75

 This is the perfect highway cruising gear for 8v transmission with 3.67 or
3.94 ring & pinion. I've got a .75 installed as my 6th gear. My ring &
pinion is a 4.25 which makes the .75 6th almost identical in final drive
ratio to a stock 16v transmission. (Final drive ratio = last gear ratio x
ring & pinion ratio. Revs in last gear are a function of final drive ratio x
car speed).

> - .80

IIRC, this fits the 16v trans only due to the difference in main shaft
diameter. It cruises better than the stock gear but does not drop the revs
as much as a .7x.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut