Re: How to Keep the Tourque Low in the Power Band

> Do you think a slightly smaller exhaust would be an advantage for torque.
(I
> really don't drive much above 6500, at least not daily)

Go with the 2.0" exhaust. A 1.9l can use the extra diameter. I ran my 1.8l
on 2.0" and realized large gains. Don't choke it with anything smaller. The
2.0" is perfect for what you've got.

> What about a lightened flywheel?

I swear by my lightened flywheel. It is much easier to match revs and the
motor just revs like a demon! Folks sometimes complain that your car will
become difficult to drive, but I really can't understand what they're
talking about. It took me about 10 minutes to get it right.

> Knock sensor ignition? Is this really needed? Would the CR be the same as
> stock (the 2.0) if you run the JH head?
> Could a thicker head gasket be used to lower it?

A knock sensor ignition is definitely needed. I used to run mine on the
street without it on 93 octane gas. However, I'd ping on hot summer days.
Then twice I was caught out in the woods rallying and couldn't find race
gas. The motor wasn't happy at all. Retrofitting the KS ignition smoothed
everything out. -no more worries. Running a thicker head gasket will reduce
the squish area in the combustion chamber and could potentially make the
motor *more* prone to detonate. It will certainly reduce the amount of
power. -not a good idea at all.

> Seems 10:1 would be fine with 92oct gasoline if you are running an oil
> cooler.

It isn't. -even with a large 14-row oil cooler. The oil temp doesn't really
have much to do with the tendency for the motor to detonate, btw. That is
more of a function of the water temperature if anything.

> If you could get enough torque out of the motor wouldn't the FF be the
ideal
> transmission?

The question is "ideal for what?". If highway cruising is the main goal,
then the FF (3.67 R&P plus wide ratios) is a good idea. It will offer pretty
boring performance, though. By comparison the 16v transmissions have 3.67
R&P plus close ratios just like a Rabbit GTI. The GTI has a 3.94 R&P plus
those close ratio gears. -got that? My idea of a proper performance/economy
compromise is any close ratio gearbox with 3.94 R&P plus .75 5th gear. This
will accelerate like a mofo and then settle down on the highway. The jump
between 4th and 5th gear will be noticeable but not overly annoying.

California people should really look heavily into tweeking the transmission
gearing. It is the way to get great increases in torque but maintain your
smog status. It is often cheaper and more reliable than engine work, too. Go
for it! Uncle Scotty will see you through...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!