RE: G60 in a scirocco

This is the swap I'm doing for one of my 84's, sort of.
I've got the G60 block, head etc. But I'm going to go with
a turbo for more tunability...

I plan on using a 020 trans (100mm flanges), 16v PP, 8v
disk, 16v axels, 16v knuckles, for the drivetrain...

will be using manual steering rack from 84.

probably will run 16v brakes for now, would like to
upgrade/convert to corrado.

I've been told that I'll have to reinforce the front cross
member in the roc to handle the extra power/torque.  Any
one else out there running 200+ hp with a stock front
x-member and if so any problems (twisting, cracks in paint,
etc..)

I'm gonna run the digifant fuel system, :( , not looking
forward to wiring that bitch, Guess I'm gonna need a
bentley for a g60 too... btw can someone tell me how hard
this part of the swap will be??  Please tell me the air
cleaner etc. is on the driver side.  Will the digifant
system hook into the cis lines (supply and return from the
gas tank). Obviously I havn't researched this aspect much.
Could use some help here folks.

--- Neal Tovsen <sixteen.volt@gte.net> wrote:
> It has been done before. I haven't actually *done* it
> yet, but I'm working on a
> mk1 ('77) project. Perhaps we could share experiences as
> we go along? I have the
> donor Corrado, but I'm concentrating on the bodywork of
> the mk1 before I tear
> into the Corrado.
>
> The first question you'll be asked is, "Why do you want a
> G60?" In my case, I'm
> building the car specifically for autocrossing. The rules
> I'm building to
> require a VW- or Audi-based engine, and I figure I need
> at least 200 wheel
> horsepower with a strong torque curve to be competitive
> against the other cars
> in the class. This pretty much restricts me to either a
> G60 or a 1.8t. Since I'd
> like to avoid turbo lag, and I got a whole Corrado for
> less than the price of a
> 1.8t engine, that's where I'm going.
>
> If you don't have specific reasons for a G60, I'd
> recommend you research your
> options more carefully. If I weren't building this car
> for this specific class
> of autocrossing, I probably wouldn't have gone this
> route. Since you may have
> already done this, I won't go into it here. I just wanted
> to make sure you
> covered the bases.
>
> So far, here's the basics of what I know. Most of what I
> know so far is only
> what others have told me, so don't take any of it as
> gospel!
>
> If you don't plan on keeping the A/C, the physical motor
> is pretty much a direct
> fit, since it is basically a 1.8 8v motor. Because the
> supercharger resides
> where the A/C would normally go, the A/C compressor is
> mounted lower and will
> interfere with the core support on a Scirocco.
>
> You will need to use the G60's Digifant fuel injection
> and ignition, or go
> full-aftermarket. Sorting out the wiring will probably be
> the most challenging
> part of the swap.
>
> A place will have to be found for the intercooler.
>
> The easiest route will be to use an 020 transmission.
> Using the Corrado
> transmission will require retrofitting a cable shifter.
> I'm not sure yet about
> flywheel, clutch, etc, but I'm guessing/hoping that
> normal 8v parts will work.
>
> I'm planning on using a power steering rack from a 16v
> Scirocco...but I
> definitely haven't researched this much yet.
>
> Tell us more about your plans, and keep us informed of
> your progress!
>
> Neal
> '88 Scirocco 16v
> '77 Scirocco [1.6L on the garage floor...]
> '90 Corrado G60

=====
Jason Adams
Fahrvergnugen Forever :) Oo=w=oO
84 rocco 16v
84 rocco turbo (project stage)
98 chevy Z71 (cause everyone needs a truck!)
...I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter...