RE: G60 in a scirocco

It has been done before. I haven't actually *done* it yet, but I'm working on a
mk1 ('77) project. Perhaps we could share experiences as we go along? I have the
donor Corrado, but I'm concentrating on the bodywork of the mk1 before I tear
into the Corrado.

The first question you'll be asked is, "Why do you want a G60?" In my case, I'm
building the car specifically for autocrossing. The rules I'm building to
require a VW- or Audi-based engine, and I figure I need at least 200 wheel
horsepower with a strong torque curve to be competitive against the other cars
in the class. This pretty much restricts me to either a G60 or a 1.8t. Since I'd
like to avoid turbo lag, and I got a whole Corrado for less than the price of a
1.8t engine, that's where I'm going.

If you don't have specific reasons for a G60, I'd recommend you research your
options more carefully. If I weren't building this car for this specific class
of autocrossing, I probably wouldn't have gone this route. Since you may have
already done this, I won't go into it here. I just wanted to make sure you
covered the bases.

So far, here's the basics of what I know. Most of what I know so far is only
what others have told me, so don't take any of it as gospel!

If you don't plan on keeping the A/C, the physical motor is pretty much a direct
fit, since it is basically a 1.8 8v motor. Because the supercharger resides
where the A/C would normally go, the A/C compressor is mounted lower and will
interfere with the core support on a Scirocco.

You will need to use the G60's Digifant fuel injection and ignition, or go
full-aftermarket. Sorting out the wiring will probably be the most challenging
part of the swap.

A place will have to be found for the intercooler.

The easiest route will be to use an 020 transmission. Using the Corrado
transmission will require retrofitting a cable shifter. I'm not sure yet about
flywheel, clutch, etc, but I'm guessing/hoping that normal 8v parts will work.

I'm planning on using a power steering rack from a 16v Scirocco...but I
definitely haven't researched this much yet.

Tell us more about your plans, and keep us informed of your progress!

Neal
'88 Scirocco 16v
'77 Scirocco [1.6L on the garage floor...]
'90 Corrado G60