Re: Was,"If you're not passing traffic..Now, pathetic attitudes.

Hey Marc,

I believe that the problem stems from the fact that we, as car enthusiasts,
take driving seriously.  As we all know, there are many people out there
driving every day that don't take driving as seriously.  You, by trying to
take them to "school" are creating a really dangerous situation.  You
already know that they're not very good drivers and you are creating a
situation whereby you're forcing them to react quickly to a situation that
you've created intentionally.  There's a good chance that their reaction
could cause a nasty wreck probably involving more than just that one driver,
perhaps a schoolbus or a minivan containing a family on vacation or
whatever.  At times, we've all been guilty of aggressive driving, some of us
probably still are to an extent, you obviously take it to a new level.  But
what you're getting involved in is basically an asshole contest.  Up until
now you've probably survived by being the biggest asshole!  If history has
taught us anything its "there's always a bigger asshole out there".  As hard
as that is for ANY of us to believe it's certainly the truth.

As far as the trailer queen thing goes I'll just say this.  My car spent
years on the streets of NYC (and still bears some of those scars)  and out
of the 85K miles on it many of them took place close to the rev limiter and
in the triple digits.  My car has never been trailered, towed or otherwise
helped to any destination.  The only reason that my car looks the way that
it does is because I took care of it and properly maintained it, and for the
most part, while driving fast, didn't drive it like an asshole.  And, no I
don't take pleasure in scratching or denting my car for ANY reason, as a
matter of fact in that area, you're probably ALL alone on this list.

- Jan Folkson
NYC, NY

http://www.janfolkson.com

'86 16V
'99 Passat GLS 1.8t
'00 Beetle GLX 1.8t

"it's better to be silent and have people think you a fool than to open your
mouth and prove them right.