Re: list of possible demons shortens tremendously

At 05:41 AM 6/14/01 +0800, Dan Miller wrote:
>ok, i have narrowed down the problem to 2 possible demons (from the
infinite before).  I adjusted teh ide mixture ever so slightly CCW, and the
engine now wonbt successfully start at all.  When i put it back to teh old
position, it smells rich as hell and start but runs like shit.  So, tell me
if im wrong assuming this, but i believe that the cold start valve is now
DEAD and the thermotime switch is on it's way out.  I think the previous
owner was a dumbfu#k and, instead of replacing the CSV, he just cranked the
idme mixture up like a mudda fucka to make up for the crapped-out CSV.  For
good measure, im going to replace teh thermotime switch, and hopefully all
problems will be solved.  I will also probably hollow out the cat jsut for
a little mroe power and noise.

>Dan Miller
>
>88 16v
>--

I'm assuming that you are talking about the thermo time switch for the cold
start injector and not the O2 sensor, unless they are one and the same.
Anyway, my '86 wasn't idling right and I adjusted timing and mixture.  It
ran rich and sounded like it was missing, smelled rich too.  Turns out it was
missing because it was getting too much fuel.  So I'm checking various
coldstart items, and get to the thermo time switch(under the head coolant
inlet)
and there are no wires attached to it; so that's where those two wires I
found awhile back go to.  So I put some spade terminals on them and attach
them;
instant cure.  The car now runs great.  So like my unconnected switch,
yours being faulty could be dumping more fuel in there and the O2 sensor
system
is thinking the car is cold and is ignoring it.  Or something like that.

John