MKI wiring question

I have been cleaning up the wiring and re-doing the
battery in my trunk.  I am almost done.  I grounded it
in trunk and ran 1/0 to the starter.  I also ran 4
guage from the alt to the starter.

I ran into a small snag.  (Car is a 1980 Scirocco) I
have a green wire that runs under the radiator.  Its a
solid green color covered by black wire loom
(factory).  It exits out of the harness near where the
battery should be and runs under the radiator along
the support.  Does anyone know what this goes to?
This isn't power for the coil is it?  That was the
only green wire I could find on the wiring diagram and
it appears to have gotten its power from the fuse box.
 Does anyone know what it is?????

Also, On MKI's does the alternator light always glow
when you put a good current draw on it.  (i.e.
headlights on and heater on high).  The 1/0 helped but
it still glows.

TIA,
Tony