Re: MKI wiring question

Anthony Pelletier wrote:

> I have been cleaning up the wiring and re-doing the
> battery in my trunk.  I am almost done.  I grounded it
> in trunk and ran 1/0 to the starter.  I also ran 4
> guage from the alt to the starter.

Sounds good so far.

> I ran into a small snag.  (Car is a 1980 Scirocco) I
> have a green wire that runs under the radiator.  Its a
> solid green color covered by black wire loom
> (factory).  It exits out of the harness near where the
> battery should be and runs under the radiator along
> the support.  Does anyone know what this goes to?
> This isn't power for the coil is it?  That was the
> only green wire I could find on the wiring diagram and
> it appears to have gotten its power from the fuse box.
>  Does anyone know what it is?????

What kind of connector is on the other end of this green wire? Does the
wire have a stripe of some color or is it solid Green?

> Also, On MKI's does the alternator light always glow
> when you put a good current draw on it.  (i.e.
> headlights on and heater on high).  The 1/0 helped but
> it still glows.
> TIA,
> Tony

If you are getting over 12.5+ volts across the battery then you are OK.
I see that you have a long run from the back to the front but with large
gauge cable. (Good, good) Also that you have grounded the Battery to the
Chassis, but what of the Engine to Chassis & the Alt's CASE to
Block/Chassis? Need to complete the circuit. (A little glow is backwash
but not too critical. Means you are not putting out enough 'juice' to
overcome the current traveling through the light.)

My Rocc was in storage and when I got it out I noticed the light was a
little brighter than I had remembered. I redid the cable connections on
the battery posts, etc., but still it remained. Wasn't until I reached
around and reseated the big plugs on the back of the fuse box that it
went away.

Corrosion is the enemy & Rust Never Sleeps.

TBerk