Out with the old in with a Jetta

Just acquired a 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8t.  Don't worry, the Roc's not going
anywhere.  The Jetta will replace the wifes 97 Honda Civic EX.  Anyone want
to buy a Honda?  Ha-ha - tough crowd.  Anyway, any of you who own one - I am
interested in putting lowering springs on it, and was told that I would have
to change out the front sway bar to do this.  Is this true.  Is anyone else
running lowering springs.  What kind?  How far down?  I really don't want
the car SLAMMED, rather stiffer.  It seems to have a bit of roll to it.
Shifting gears makes the thing really move front to back.  It's like having
switches!

Regards,

-=Rick
84' 8V Wolfs