RE: Tranny into a rabbit truck

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Dan wrote:

> I don't think you want to put a close ration tranny into a diesel.....you'll
> be revving too high to get to hwy speeds.

Amen.  I had a 92 Golf diesel that came from factory with a box that
matched the 4K close ratio trasnmission in ratios and final drive, and it
was a noisy pig to drive.  After I installed a tach and discovered how
high the poor diesel was revving, I swapped in a .745 fifth, but even
still it was a pain, especially with the large gap between stock fourth
and the tall fifth.

If the donor is an A1 GTI box with either a 3.89 (2H) or 3.94 (4K,) I
would not advise it. The A2 8V GTI box (9A) wouldn't be as bad, as it has
a 3.67 final drive to tone down the short gears.

> also, IIRC the 16v and GTi trannies have a larger flywheel than the standard
> A2 setup. I had to change my CV axles, flywheel and part of my shifter
> linkage when I put the FF in my 16v Roc.

The A1 diesel uses a smaller flywheel than an A1 (or A2 for that matter)
GTI, however you can swap in the larger flywheel and clutch without
problems.  If the tranny in question has 100mm CV's it  will be necessary
to swap on 90mm flanges, as the pickup will have 90mm CV's unless it's
been modded.  If the tranny in question is from a 16V then you will need
to use the 16V flywheel and clutch setup.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Edition Turbo Diesel Scirocco)

> Anybody else?
>
> Dan
> '87 16v 'Rocco
> '00 Jetta
> Tampa, FL

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca