RE: CIS->CIS-E Swap

If that's the case, why was VW using FI systems while virtually everyone
else was using carbs?  I prefer control, and that's what a *properly
designed and functioning* FI system does.  It optimizes performance
regardless of engine speed and load.  Please don't mistake the word
"horsepower" for the word "performance," because at that point, the
statement isn't necessarily true in the same sense for everyone.

If you have modified the engine, the stock FI system may not work as well
for your application, because you may be operating outside its design
parameters.  This is where you have to be clever/thorough enough to modify
the FI system to work for your non-stock application.  Otherwise, you may
find that you get more power by removing parts of the FI system.  By making
the necessary modifications, you can once again find a good balance between
power, driveability, reliability, economy, and emissions.

Or maybe there are just faulty components in your fuel system...

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle