Re: [TECH]4K tranny 1/83 GTI

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:12:12 -0700 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> writes:

>Chris, Isn't this the infamous 'Self Machining Syndrome' trans? The
>missing circlip on the end of the gears will allow it to eat a hole in
>the case over time- there is a retrofit to augment or replace the
>funky rivets that proved insufficient to the task.
>
>You know who might know what the f^ck he's talking about (as opposed
>to me) is Shawn Meze. Lets see if we can pinch his ear.

Yeah, I might know what the f^ck im talking about. Might not.
In this case, I might. You pretty much nailed it already so maybe its you
that what knows what the f^ck your talking about? Me thinks.

The $0.10 circlips were never installed and this is the root of the
dilemma so many of us have experienced with these trannies. its not just
one specific code tranny either, its for the most part, all of them in
the A1 cars and including the early A2 cars. Some of the later A1 cars
had the clips installed it just depends on when the tranny was made.

The fix? Simple, have the tranny rebuilt with the clips. Some say install
the bolt kit too but if they're the least bit over torqued, the bolts
break and self machine the tranny. Ask me how I know. Don't ask, ill
tell. I found out racing one day. Not fun.

Just be leery of who does the work. The guy who built my tranny has (HAD)
a fabulous rep for building indestructible trannies. he screwed up and
over torqued my bolt kit and then im screwed. Oh well.

Used trannies from the junkyard are cheap, ive got 2 spare trannies just
for that reason.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!